On the 12th day of #techmas @badassebs sent to me, 12 Commerce Concepts
Diversity is not simply about alloing different voices. It is about having each speaker understand the conversation or there is discord. I put together a list of core business concepts and links simply as an intro to business discussions. There is much more to the realm of possible dicussions, concepts such as scale, and trickle down and impact…
1- Concept development – There is what you sell “Product service or merchandise”, and how you go about extracting value, and the logistics of doing so – business model/canvass. Often tech startups focus on business model at the expense of tangible product, or logistical planning. In teh diversity discussion it is ofeten about a more modern approach to thinking. The following is a list of concepts I often stop to explain or introduce and articles links by others on them
- Creative http://mashable.com/2011/09/
- Cognitive http://steveblank.com/2012/
- Contextual http://www.slideshare.net/
2- Commerce opportunities – understanding shifts in business models http://steveblank.com/
3- Cash to get started –
- Crowdfunding is the practice of funding a project or venture by raising monetary contributions from a large number of people, typically via the internet.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
- Challenges http://challengepost.com/
- Cultural funding – & P2P peer to peer lending funding http://p2pfoundation.net/
- Accelerators- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Seed_accelerator most accelerators provide Cash | Consultant | Community | Concise | Coding | Collaboration Cofounders
- YCombinator $120K for 7% | West cost .. considered one of the besthttp://www.ycombinator.com/
- ERANYC $40,000 in seed funding and follow-on investment in future rounds.
4- Community & connections all create a system of support. – Differentiating Between Social Media and Community Management http://www.
communityroundtable.com/ uncategorized/differentiating- between-social-media-and- community-management/
- Colleagues – fellow businesses the alumni networks,
- Corporate Connections
- Investors – VC’s,
- Consultants and mentors offering support and business know how
5- Consumers- Customers Development –
- Even the best marketed and supported can and have fallen short on effective consumer development! Customer Development is a four-step framework developed by serial entrepreneur and business school Professor Steve Blank for discovering and validating the right market for your idea, building the right product features that solve customers’ needs, testing the correct model and tactics for acquiring and converting … What is Customer Development? | Market By Numbers http://market-by-numbers.com/
- S&M can eat up more than 50% of a companies budget..
6- Coding – technology is important
- learn to code onine www.codeacademy.com
- apply for free hackers school https://www.hackerschool.com/
- Tech made in NY resources http://wearemadeinny.com/
It is an adjustment of “how we do things
7- Culture – A startup is a specific type of business model – review the 20 video set inhttp://startupclass.samaltman.
stratup culture – http://www.wired.com/2013/09/
8- Concise- startup are about SPEED to market the program runs 3-4 months
- Suggested reading on lean stratups Eris reis http://www.
- Steve blank http://steveblank.com/
9- Collaborations & Collectives
Collaboration and collective efforts are often confused by those not familiar with both terms, but they are not similar and they are two distinctly different efforts. Collaboration is people working together (often with a common goal) to build one thing (think wiki page with one understanding). Collective efforts are the aggregation of people’s individual efforts, sometimes in the same service, but do not have common goal or common effort (del.icio.us page for a URL is the collective understanding of individuals tagging of that page for their own use.http://www.vanderwal.net/
- Coworking http://wiki.coworking.org/w/
- Comanufacturing http://www.bakeryandsnacks.
com/Processing-Packaging/Co- manufacturing-boom-sparks- equipment-design-challenges
- Cofounders- Company/team http://www.inc.com/bill-
- This new business structure is not for soloists
- Challenge is essentially one of building collaboraive teams of cofounders
- Creating mechanisms that do not exist such as Business speed dating etc
- Collective Effort eg batch processing with incubators, labs, accelerators, batch processing can be adopted in may areas
- The Difference between Collaboration and Collective Impact – http://www.strivetogether.org/
blog/2012/11/the-difference- between-collaboration-and- collective-impact/
!0- Compilations of DATA
taking teh “Guesswork out of decisions” – Data mining (the analysis step of the “Knowledge Discovery in Databases” process, or KDD), an interdisciplinary subfield of computer science, is the computational process of discovering patterns in large data sets involving methods at the intersection of artificial intelligence, machine learning, statistics, and database systems. The overall goal of the data mining process is to extract information from a data set and transform it into an understandable structure for further use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
11- Communication channels
- Connected, Homes, Appliances, Autos, TVs – Internet of things’- communications between physical objects – the Internet of Things refers to a dramatic development in the internet’s function: the fact that, even more than among people, it now enables communication among physical objects- https://hbr.org/2013/05/how-
- Social Media & The conversation prism – www.Conversationprism.com
- New media publishing Robin Good www.Masterne media.com
12 Coming Out in style – Teh art and science of media,
- Social media and Social media marketing tips – www.hubspot.com/
- Accelerators and even other groups have a demo day with all the press hoopla and access to media that can propel a startup forward. Demo day gives the businesses Check out some of the best Demo presentations going back to 2004 http://www.demo.com/ehome/
About 12 Days of Techmas Curations– Each year I “gift” technology. This year I’m curating and distributiong via my topics on Scoop it- http://sco.lt/7bQfAX . Each “gift” looks at technology that can be added to the modern business person’s digital toolbox. Check out and Follow my scoops at http://www.scoop.it/u/bonnie-sandy
“What would you do with technology if you could!” explore the concepts online.”
Reflections on Kwanzaa (2012)
- Umoja – Unity is a doing word – Next Year I’m Unifying My Life
- Kujichagulia The Quest to Define Self Must Proceed – Self Determination!
- UJIMA – Be Ye not Unequally Yoked- Collective Work and Responsibility
- Ujamaa – Is it Simply a word You Recite on December 29th each year!
- Nia- PURPOSE Is The REASON For Which YOU WERE created or For Which YOU Exists.
- Kuumba- Seriously Are you Creative- Are We
- Imani –What’s Faith Got To Do with IT
2015 My weekly newletter begins