Umoja 2014- Embracing the principle of UNITY
Unity – The state of being united or joined as a whole … the quality or state of not being multiple : oneness –
If I am to be honest, which is the first step to moving forward, I will admit am experiencing challenges with this within the black community. I love diversity and thinks its a strength. However it is nt always appreciated. On the one hand my desire is to be supportive, on the other I do not agree with many of the methods I see being adopted. I can accept that even if I am vehemently against some of them in principle. I respect the right of others to reach their own belief. My challenge is the underlying, unspoken mandate that there is one way to be black. Thinking outside of that “predefined” boundary is often despised and looked at suspiciously. I am sure their are thinkers, dreamers, many who dare, but I suspect they too have been silenced.
My intense inner disagreement with manyprinciples have me silent, but present at one end and distancing myself at the other. I can respect that others make different choices. I simply detest that I am expected to adopt these viewpoints. I resent when others try to define how I think and speak… especially when it feel that these “expectation ” impose boundaries on growth. So how does one do “unity”, when you rae not equally yolked.
Unity – Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster …
Full Definition of UNITY. 1 a : the quality or state of not being multiple : oneness. b (1) : a definite amount taken as one or for which 1 is made to stand in calculation <in a table of natural sines the radius of the circle is regarded as unity>
Personal – Focusing on unity starts from within. So the personal is taking centerstage. The goal is to be consistent in all areas. It often is expected that we “behave” in a certain manner where business is concerned and in another manner in personal lives. I am a person involved in business and so my values and priciples should carry through through in both. My Planned strategy
- I’ve started looking at my values vs value as well as the virtues I value
- Set goals that are about the WHOLE picture … In short unify my expectation for my future… not sure how I will do so but wanting to travel permanently needs to unite with running a company. my personal spiritual journey needs to impact my community and bsuienss relations!
- in the first quarter of 2015 redefine a mission and vision statement focused on “not being multiple”
Business – I have slowly come to terms that a unified approach an ecosytem is needed to move forward. Over the last 11 years I’ve focused on one challenge at a time. Learning , trouble shooting, designing , testing theories through practice. Creating a formula that works but I’ve been hesitant to return to the concept of Tibiaetech without my partner, who passed away. On teh other hand we did so much work that it would be a dishonor to hs efforts not to take this further. I am already redefining all the various concept into “product services and merchandise.” However I plan to revisit them as part of a unfied whole rather than completely separate entities.
Community – I have been thinking that try to become unfied with an open community is not an option. It has stagnated my growth. My late partner was right and I need to embrace leadership and not be passive aggressive about it! So I will seek to find like minded people … That means expressing and communicating more clearly where I stand and what I believe. It means sharing and speaking, educating others, so they can formulate their own opinions, but understand and respect my point of view even if they disagree with it!
Digital – Your principles values should extend to your digital strategy. My actions should be n accord with my offline activities. I started a couple years ago unifying my online presense. it has cut down on teh time I spend even as direct engagement is increased. i recommend that everyone create a central digital “space” where others can engage with them. I recommed a responsive, mobile accessible site… not sure check your site on http://ami.responsivedesign.is/
- This site is a central location that holds my digital Identity and collateral together. I am becoming better at understanding how that works. organizing my multiple digital personas is the next crucial step.
- next year 2015 – I will create a unified dashbord to my varios interest – brands – personnas. A sort of digital cncierge that will make it easy for visors.
- I discovered that my contacts were not “individual interest that shared one email”, but rather One person represented by one or more digital contact points with a multitude of interest. My quest to unify and manage my conact list is ongoing.
At the end of each of these, musings, posts, I ususally find a revelation, that inspires and pushes me forward. –
it just daned on me that Unity is about strengthen myself, becoming whole so that I can be a better person, asset, within a collaboration, collective or community. I highly recommend it , How can unity impact your life.
About KWANZAA 2014 Embracing the principles in Business, Community Personal and even Digital, Practices ;- I take Kwanzaa as a time of self examinination to define & recommit to my personal vales and principles as it relates to teh Pan African community;-
- Umoja – Unity is a doing word – Next Year I’m Unifying My Life
- Kujichagulia The Quest to Define Self Must Proceed – Self Determination!
- UJIMA – Be Ye not Unequally Yoked- Collective Work and Responsibility
- Ujamaa – Is it Simply a word You Recite on December 29th each year!
- Nia- PURPOSE Is The REASON For Which YOU WERE created or For Which YOU Exists.
- Kuumba- Seriously Are you Creative- Are We
- Imani –What’s Faith Got To Do with IT
See also 12 days of #Techmas
- About 12 Days of Techmas Curations– Each year I “gift” technology. This year I’m curating and distributiong via my topics on Scoop it- http://sco.lt/7bQfAX . Each “gift” looks at technology that can be added to the modern business person’s digital toolbox. Check out and Follow my scoops at http://www.scoop.it/u/bonnie-sandy“What would you do with technology if you could!” explore the concepts online.”
2015 My weekly newletter begins